The Huntington Town Board, at its February 21 meeting, honored the victims of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, honored educators from three schools recognized as "Reward Schools" by the New York State Education Department, and appointed a Chairman to the Town Zoning Board of Appeals.
Opening the 7:00 PM meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance, Supervisor Chad A. Lupinacci asked the room to remain standing for a moment of silence for the victims of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, including former Dix Hills resident, Scott Beigel. The Supervisor praised the heroic actions of Mr. Beigel, a teacher who was killed as he was protecting students from the shooter, and the volunteers.
The Town Board honored educators from schools named “Reward Schools” by the New York State Education Department for their high academic achievement: Principal Timothy Russo and Superintendent Dr. Francesco Ianni of Harborfields High School in Greenlawn; Principal Milton Strong of Half Hollow Hills High School East in Dix Hills; and Principal Michael Catapano of Half Hollow Hills High School West, also in Dix Hills.
“As an educator and a former school board member in South Huntington, I’m proud Huntington has great educators who continuously raise the bar and help our students achieve academic success,” said Supervisor Chad A. Lupinacci.
John Posillico, a member of the Zoning Board of Appeals since his appointment in June 2016, was appointed Chairman of the Zoning Board for a term effective February 26, 2018 through December 31, 2018. Posillico is the former Chairman of Old Westbury Village’s Board of Zoning Appeals.
In other action, the Town Board:
- Authorized the correction of Code Violations at various locations.
- Accepted the dedication of land to be used as an extension to Crown Avenue in Greenlawn.
- Amended the Town Board Meeting schedule for 2018 (April 24th meeting cancelled, May 8th meeting moved to May 1st at 2:00 PM, May 22nd meeting moved to May 15th at 7:00 PM.
- Renamed Greenlawn Memorial Park to Greenlawn Park to avoid confusion with Greenlawn Veterans Memorial Park.
- Approved the installation of stop signs at various locations: Bowdon Road eastbound at Frazer Drive in Greenlawn; Cottage Court northbound at David Court in Huntington Station; David Court westbound at Kelsey Avenue in Huntington Station; Irma Lane northbound at West 6th Avenue in East Northport; and the west intersection of Sandpiper Lane westbound at Bob-O-Link Lane in Northport.
- Scheduled a Public Hearing for March 20th at 7:00 PM to consider installing a sign prohibiting right turns on red signals on Bellerose Avenue for eastbound and westbound traffic at Catherine Street in East Northport.
- Scheduled a Public Hearing for March 20th at 7:00 PM to consider installing a stop sign on Lawn Street eastbound at Goldsmith Avenue in Greenlawn.
- Scheduled a Public Hearing for March 20th at 7:00 PM to consider eliminating the 10-year limitation on eligibility for the Cold War Veterans Tax Exemption.